Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Risotto Dance





What's Cooking Guys?

When I first starting working as a chef, one of the things I dreaded cooking was risotto because I thought it was going to be so complicated. I was about 17 and I was working at Sandy Lane Hotel.

 One night for a big gala, we had to make a massive vat of risotto. Now I am pretty small, I could literally fit into the pan we were cooking it in. So the chef who was teaching me how to make it said in his thick Italian accent, " no worries, just risotto dance." The risotto dance is the way you stir the rice to create that creamy, luxurious consistency. He made it so easy and fun!

 And so I learned to make one of my favorite dishes. And I want to share the recipe for a butternut squash risotto with you today.


Butternut Squash Risotto 

Serves 3-4 Dinner portions Or 6 Appetizer Servings 

4-6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
4tbsp butter
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 cup butternuts squash peeled and diced - approx 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup of arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine (preferably dry)
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste


Method: 

1-Warm the stock and keep on hand. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt 3 tbsp of the butter and cook onion until translucent.
2-Add the rice and cook for about 2 mins to give the rice a slight toast. Then add the wine and stir constantly until wine is absorbed.



3-Add a few ladles of stock; just enough to barely cover the rice. Cook over medium heat until stock has been absorbed. Continue cooking and stirring rice; adding a little bit of stock at a time, cooking and stirring until it is absorbed.


4.After about 10 mins add the butternut squash.Continue cooking until the rice is tender, but still firm to the bite.
 During the last minutes of cooking, add remaining tablespoon of butter and Parmesan. The rice should have
 a fabulous, creamy consistency. Season to taste. 
We served ours with a slice of roasted chicken, a sprig of basil and some herbed oil.
Hope you enjoy! 
Have a delicious day

No comments:

Post a Comment